The St. Thomas Youth Choir is gearing up for the 2020-2021 school year! Whether you are a past choir member, or have never joined us before, this is a wonderful opportunity to participate in a meaningful and educational activity. As school and extracurricular activities might be affected by the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic, we invite you to join our music program.
As part of the choir, singers can:
- Be part of a music team
- Participate in worship services at St. Thomas
- Develop musical and performance skills
- Share musical and dramatic talents
Traditionally, the St. Thomas Youth Choir has:
- Sung at church services about once a month
- Shared a musical Christmas drama with the congregation
- Participated in a Christmas Eve service and at a Twelfth Night celebration
- Participated in the Calgary Performing Arts music festival
In the last 6 months, the choir has stepped up and recorded virtual presentations of various songs that were played during church services. Some examples include:
- “When Children Join Hands and Sing” (view here)
- “We Are One World” – a contemporary song with the STUC Strummers and adult choir
- “Like a Rock” (view here) – the introit for July 2020
- “We Are the World” (view here) – a pop collaboration with the St. Thomas Strummers
- “The Gift of Love” – a traditional song (ongoing)
- And in 2019 for Festival, “Gaudeamus Hodie” and “Agnus Dei” (view here)
Looking ahead, our choir program will adapt as the COVID-19 pandemic develops. We will begin the year with weekly 60-75 minute Zoom rehearsals on Wednesday nights. The choir may decide to host in-person practices outside the church on select evenings or weekend afternoons. These in-person practices will be subject to evolving guidance from the St. Thomas executive council and municipal, provincial, and federal health agencies. We recognize that gathering in-person, even outside and with precautions, represents a risk. Any in-person practices will be voluntary – youth may choose to participate in select in-person sessions, or only participate virtually.
Participants will be required to complete a health release for each in-person event and any outdoor rehearsals will be weather-dependent. All in-person rehearsals will require some or all of the following precautions:
- Keeping well spaced at all times and even more while singing
- Use of hand sanitizer at the start and end of practice
- Wearing a mask or face covering at all times
- Facing away from each other when singing
- Limiting the amount of participants for in-person sessions
We have attached a survey that we would like parents to complete and return to us by September 8, 2020. Please scan and email us your responses, or fill out the survey online at this link: https://forms.gle/R1DV2stuLfabbKQq8
Based on your feedback and guidance from public health authorities, we will plan for fall rehearsal sessions accordingly, and re-evaluate as needed.
Thank you for helping us continue with the St. Thomas youth music program in a safe way so that we can contribute to the St. Thomas ministry. We look forward to hearing from you.
Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions, thoughts, or concerns.